Today is going to be one day that i will switch back to prose....It has been a while since I last wrote in this style. Another random entry and looking back at the music scene of years gone by....then i realised something:
I absolutely LOVED the music that the 70s and early 90s brought about. I cannot explain it but the bands that have lighted up the music arena brought forward lyrics and music that really appealed to me. It is also interesting to take note of the social/political context that all these songs were written. The Cold War- a time of great political and social fear and uncertainty....that songs were more oriented towards the hope of seeing a better day, the innocence of a child, the beauty of creation. I don't know....to me it seems as though today's music industry is becoming focussed on anger and cynicism. the pure feeling has somewhat become muted through the years.
I am getting left behind in the music world and what seems to be the trend these days....but I don't care. I am happy with the songs that I enjoy...Never mind that I am referred to as the Old Man, because this is what I love. It is MY ears and MY heart that is embracing the rhythm and rhyme. Even the BSB, a band I love from its first album in 1996 is already considered OLD School. Never Mind all that....the individual has all the rights to his loves/hates.
There was a band that is ranked in the top 3 of my favs. The band 'Scorpions' (formed in 1965) is one band that I really loved. The songs that they deliver never fail to move me emotionally. From titles such as White Dove that adds a humanitarian song about peace and love to the ear piercing sounds of 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' and 'Blackout'. it was delivered with so much passion and energy that I figured that there won't be another band quite like these guys. They have been influential not only in Europe but made a huge contribution to the music industry in Malaysia/Singapore. Their style and presentation were the inspiration behind the popular Malay bands such as Wings, Search and Sweet Charity.
As the music of past years start fading away replaced by the new generation of music, I too start fading away from the current scene-seeking refuge of the past years. Where did it all go to? How did the days go by so quickly? Nevertheless, I will still make the effort to ensure that music of the past stays alive in the hearts and minds of the new generation.
Below are two Videos that show their songs and the versatility that this band had: First video is titled "Rock You Like A Hurricane". Second video is titled "Lady Starlite". Enjoy. =)